Welcome to the latest episode of the To Fluency Podcast.
In this episode, I explain the new format and talk about my daily routine.
Words and Phrases Used in This Episode
We’ve found it very difficult to record new episodes
To find something difficult means that it is difficult for you.
I made a lesson on this here. More examples:
- I find it difficult to be honest all the time
- He finds speaking more difficult than listening
It’s gone so fast
This is a cliche that parents say when talking about their children growing up.
I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while
This is a great example of the present perfect continuous. Here are some more:
- I’ve been teaching for 7 years
- He’s been standing there an awfully long time
Don’t hold back
Like I mentioned in the audio, to hold back means that you don’t tell the truth.
It can also mean to not do something or to not put all your effort into something.
- You’re holding back – you can do 10 more push-ups
- I hate holding back
Everyone makes mistakes
This is true.
No one speaks perfect English. Don’t worry about making mistakes.
I don’t get to wake up when I want to wake up
Get is used in many different ways.
In this case, it means that I don’t decide when I wake up. It’s not my choice.
I need to take care of my children and dogs
To take care of someone/something means to look after.
I get my son my breakfast
Another way to use GET.
In this case, it means to prepare breakfast.
I didn’t MAKE because there wasn’t anything to make.
I need to make sure that my son is ready for school
TO MAKE SURE means to confirm that something happens.
- can you make sure you get here on time?
- make sure you subscribe to my YouTube channel (do that here!)
I left the house without showering
After words like without, before, after use the gerund.
- Don’t drink orange juice after brushing your teeth
- I feel exhausted after playing soccer
In the future, I would like to have more time for work
This is a hypothetical situation.
- I’d like to be able to have more fun
We used to walk and now we have to drive
I made a lesson on USED TO here. Check it out!
Watch our other podcasts here